Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Blast From the Past

So, I've been thinking a lot about my childhood today. Mainly the TV shows and music I used to watch and listen to. So, I've decided that this post will be dedicated to my childhood. 


All That - What an amazing TV show. It was almost like a Saturday Night Live for kids. It had different sketches featuring different people from the cast. The original cast was the best by far. But you also have to include Amanda Bynes to that list. She did the "Ask Ashley" sketch. Basically, kids would mail in to ask Ashley a question... Usually the question was really stupid like, "Dear Ashley, I am very hungry. My mom  isn't home. What should I do?" Ashley would act sweet, but then go on an angry yelling rampage and then settle down again for the next question. Her angelic looks were truly deceiving. 



The Backstreet Boys - Now, this is very embarassing to say or admit to... But my heart still flutters when I see A.J. Mclean. The Backstreet Boys stole my heart and helped  me through the very confusing years of.... dun dun dun! Private School. I remember when the Millenium and Black and Blue albums came out in 1999 & 2000. I also remember being at a friends birthday slumber party and jamming out to "I Want It That Way." Oh my.... how times have changed. Nick Carter was also very handsome in my opinion. But even better than him was his brother Aaron Carter. Aaron Carter caused quite a commotion in the public eye, but that's for another post at another time. 




NSYNC- If you talk about the Backstreet Boys, you have to talk about NSYNC. This group also stole my heart just around the same time as the Backstreet Boys. I remember dancing with my best friend at the time to "Bye, Bye, Bye." My friend and I also used to have debates over which one of us would get Nick Carter. She would say, "I'll get Nick and you can get Lance from NSYNC." I would usually give up and just agree. What's funny is that Lance "came out of the closet" a few years ago. Not that his constantly frosted tips wasn't a clue at all. NO ONE knew Lance was gay. *sarcasm* 


Are You Afraid of the Dark? - The most AMAZING tv show ever. Every afternoon my mom would pick my sister and I up from my private school's daycare. We would then go home and I would rush to the TV and change it to Nickelodeon. Usually about the time I got home Are You Afraid of the Dark? would be on. This show was about kids who would meet up at their local hangout spot, light a camp fire, and tell scary stories. There was a little more to it than that... but that's basically it. As simplistic as it sounds, it was a really good show. I used to be terrified when I watched it. There was this one episode about a doll house that really freaked me out. There was also a movie made that was basically one big episode. That movie gave me nightmares for YEARS. Not days, not weeks, but YEARS. It wasn't all the time, but at least a few times a year, I would have the same exact dream. But each time, I would get a little farther in the dream, if that makes sense. 


Furby - This child's toy came out when I was little. At first, everyone was abuzz about the Furby! It was so cute, cuddly, and just darn adorable. They would talk to you, and if you had a second, they would talk to each other! Shortly after the Furby became popular... people started noticing that the Furby would turn on by itself. It was almost creepy. Those big eyes staring at you and suddenly it would talk. Did I mention it's eyes blinked? It was truly terrifying after a while. Furby began to lose popularity when then general public became worried about their safety. I remember my Furby would not shut up. It kept talking and talking and would turn itself on even after I turned it off. So, I decided to be smart and pull the batteries out. I kid you not, it still talked. I screamed and threw it in the trash can. Hopefully that demonic thing is officially gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment